Friday, September 2, 2011

Altered Book Art journals



I love working on the journals but my books in the past have seemed a bit scattered. I usually just deal with whatever is bugging or pleasing me at the moment. I have tried to keep to a theme in the past without much luck.
I am finding that by working on two or three books at once I have a much better chance of sticking to the subject. I have chosen the themes for the two regular books and the one board book. The board book is the hardest. It is just examining the topic of women.

There has been a lot of discussion on Lampwork Etc. where I go from time to time to socialize about the lack of respect for women in the world right now. Personally I think I am more concerned with the lack of self respect in the world right now. If you respect yourself and demand the same of others a lot of those problems will go away. I am having a hard time since I decided to not use words in the book just images. You would think as an artist that would be a piece of cake. Not so much. It is only 8 pages so I have to condense all that I have to say and without words to that small space. Good luck to me.....
The second book is examining all the fears and monsters from my childhood so I can put them to bed (I hope ) once and for all. That one is easier to do. The pages write themselves and I find myself lying awake at night thinking of the next page.
The third book I am working on is about community. what I feel about people and what we have in common and don't have in common. It is an interesting subject to examine.
I find myself feeling things I did not know I felt and thinking in ways I never imagined before.
So I think I will continue to work with themes from now on. I might add a daily journal to the mix.
Here are a few pages from my journals. I hope you enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment